Fwd: Air Canada to Donate Douglas DC-9 to Canada Aviation Museum

>Air Canada to Donate Douglas DC-9 to Canada Aviation Museum
>

>     MONTREAL and OTTAWA, Feb. 15 /CNW/ - Air Canada and the Canada=
 Aviation
>Museum today announced the donation by Air Canada of a vintage 1960s=
 Douglas
>DC-9 aircraft to the national museum's collection. The aircraft is=
 scheduled
>to be delivered to the Ottawa museum in the spring of 2002. Today's
>announcement comes as the airline officially marks the retirement of its=
 DC-9
>fleet after almost 36 years of service from coast to coast.
>     "The Canada Aviation Museum prides itself in charting not only=
 Canada's
>rich aviation heritage but also the important milestones in the history and
>technology of flight," said Anthony Smyth, Director General of the Canada
>Aviation Museum. "We appreciate Air Canada's understanding of the=
 usefulness
>and significance of this aircraft which has played an important role in our
>civil aviation history and gratefully accept the guardianship of this=
 aircraft
>for this and future generations. Undoubtedly, the Museum's wide audience of
>Canadian and international visitors will benefit greatly by seeing the=
 first
>twin-jet commercial aircraft operated in Canada."
>      "Air Canada is proud to help preserve this important piece of=
 Canadian
>aviation history by donating a Douglas DC-9 aircraft to the Canada Aviation
>Museum in our nation's capital," said Captain Rob Giguere, Air Canada's
>Executive Vice President, Operations, at a ceremony today at the carrier's
>Montr=E9al headquarters to mark the official retirement of the DC-9=
 aircraft
>from Air Canada's operating fleet. "Today marks an important milestone in=
 the
>history of both Air Canada and Canadian aviation."
>     "With the retirement of the DC-9 we say farewell to the workhorse of=
 the
>Air Canada fleet for almost 36 years. The DC-9 changed the nature of air
>transportation in Canada and represented for most Canadians their first
>experience of jet travel. It connected Canadians from coast to coast,=
 between
>most Canadian cities large and small, with faster, quieter and more=
 reliable
>air transportation than ever before," concluded Captain Giguere who piloted
>the DC-9 for almost 10 years, as did his father, Captain Ren=E9 Giguere=
 until
>his retirement from Air Canada in 1968.
>     Air Canada took delivery of its first DC-9 on January 6, 1966, and=
 thus
>became the first airline outside the United States to adopt this aircraft
>type. It replaced Air Canada's Vickers Viscount fleet of 44 turbo prop
>aircraft which Air Canada had been the first to introduce in North America=
 in
>1955. At the height of the DC-9 deployment, Air Canada had as many as 50=
 DC-9s
>serving most of its destinations throughout North America. While in service=
 at
>Air Canada, the DC-9 fleet was constantly updated with the latest in
>technological enhancements as well as customer service amenities. The fleet
>accumulated a total of more than three million hours of service and=
 completed
>more than three million landings and takeoffs.
>     The retirement of Air Canada's DC-9 fleet is part of the carrier's on-
>going fleet renewal program to improve operating efficiencies and give Air
>Canada one of the youngest, most environmentally friendly fleets in the=
 world.
>In 2001, 13 DC-9 aircraft were removed from the operating fleet and the
>remaining five were removed in January 2002. Air Canada's last DC-9 flight=
 was
>operated from La Guardia to Montr=E9al by Captain Ken Jones and First=
 Officer
>Sylvain Boucher on January 18, 2002.
>
>     NOTE TO PHOTO EDITORS: A downloadable photo of Air Canada DC-9s parked=
 at
>the airline's Dorval maintenance base is available at the following URL:
><http://www.aircanada.ca/about-us/media/facts/logo.html>http://www.aircanad=
a.ca/about-us/media/facts/logo.html

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)

Caribbean Brass & Soca Connection Club Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeansocabrassconnection/
Steel Expressions Orch
http://www.escape.ca/~ejames/se/
email #1: mailto:steelexpressions@yahoo.com
email #2: mailto:steelexpressions@home.com
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(NLCB) http://www.nlcb.co.tt/
(National Lotteries Control Board)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://195.224.187.36/