Re: It's official: photography is NOT illegal

FAR 108.209 (e) specifically addresses x-ray inspection and film.
Film may indeed be hand inspected if requested by the individual...(in the
US).

(e) No aircraft operator may use any X-ray system to inspect accessible
property or checked baggage unless a sign is posted in a conspicuous place
at the screening checkpoint or where checked baggage is accepted which
notifies individuals that such items are being inspected by an X-ray and
advises them to remove all X-ray, scientific, and high-speed film from
accessible property and checked baggage before inspection. This sign shall
also advise individuals that they may request that an inspection be made of
their photographic equipment and film packages without exposure to an X-ray
system. If the X-ray system exposes any accessible property or checked
baggage to more than one milliroentgen during the inspection, the aircraft
operator shall post a sign that advises individuals to remove film of all
kinds from their articles before inspection. If requested by individuals,
their photographic equipment and film packages shall be inspected without
exposure to an X-ray system.

Walter
DCA