Storm prompts Delta to cancel hundreds of flights

ATLANTA, Feb 6 (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) said that it had
canceled about 20 percent of its flights on Wednesday as a precaution due to
a winter storm that brought snow and freezing rain to several Southern
states.

The No. 3 U.S. carrier said 380 of its approximately 2,100 flights were
canceled as of midday on Wednesday. Delta noted that many of the
cancellations affected flights from its main hub at Atlanta's Hartsfield
International Airport.

Hartsfield is one of the world's busiest airports.

"We began reducing our flight schedule yesterday in response to the weather
forecast for today as a proactive measure in the interest of our passengers'
safety and convenience," Delta spokeswoman Peggy Estes said.

Although Atlanta experienced only heavy rain, parts of Arkansas,
Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas received up to six inches of
snow. Freezing rain coated roads in northern Georgia and Alabama.

Estes said Atlanta-based Delta did not anticipate any further cancellations
on Wednesday and expected to be operating normally by early evening.

Last month, Delta apologized to its customers and promised to conduct a
thorough review of its operations after a rare winter storm stranded
thousands of passengers overnight at Hartsfield.

Shares of Delta were up 16 cents to $32 in early afternoon trading on
Wednesday on the New York Stock Exchange.