From: www.joepries.com <airlinephoto@yahoo.com>
To: <AIRLINE@LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2002 4:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Sky-1] Security & Freedom (was Free background check -do it!)

> Hi  Greg,
> I dont know how far is too far and how much more security harms the
industry, but personally speaking only, i'll submit to whatever im asked to
in order to get on a flight.  Also i dont have the option of "not flying
since 9/11"- i have to be in certain places at certain times and taking a
cruiseline to Germany via the Atlantic to the U.K. and then train is not
gonna work, neither is driving down to florida round trip from NYC with my
wife and 7 month old.
> Joe
>   Greg Newbold <pnewbold@san.rr.com> wrote: Joe and List,
>
>   We shouldn't over-react and must maintain some balance between security
> and the traveling public before we kill the airlines, not to mention the
> taxpayers. You can provide suppressive levels of security but then you
drive
> business away. I flew 90K paid miles last year before 9-11 and haven't
flown
> a mile since. I assure you I am only mildly concerned with terrorism, (I'm
> still more conccerned about being killed in a car crash on the way to the
> airport), but will not stand in a line for hours for any reason.
> The balance has swung against the passenger and thus the airlines have
lost
> my business for the short term until the government can solve the
technology
> issues and speed up the process.
>   An interim solution?  Place more security staff on site. We all know
long
> lines are caused by staff shortfalls rather than security requirements. An
> example. If you have 100 passengers and 10 XRay machines, 100 passengers
and
> 10 shoe-testers, etc the line will move quite rapidly with 2 minutes per
> passenger will cost the passenger a maximum wait of 20 minutes.
>   As the infamous Army Major said about MyTho during the VietNam war...
"It