WestJet profits grow despite poor economy

WestJet profits grow despite poor economy
Last Updated Mon Jan 28 14:28:05 2002

CALGARY - While other Canadian airlines have struggled or shut down amid
the current economic downturn, WestJet (TSE:WJA) continues to make money.
The discount airline on Monday reported its twentieth consecutive quarterly
profit. The Calgary company had net earnings of $9.4 million in the fourth
quarter of last year, up 14.3 per cent from $8.2 million in 2000. On a
per-share basis, the company made 20 cents per share, up two cents from the
fourth quarter of last year.
WestJet said those figures were ahead of its expectations.  Revenues for
the quarter rose 41.8 per cent from Q4 of 2000 to $132.9 million.  "Despite
a challenging fourth quarter for both WestJet and our industry as a whole,
2001 ended extremely positively for our airline," WestJet chief executive
Clive Beddoe said in a release.  "Though our industry has never experienced
as devastating a blow as it did on the days and weeks that followed
September 11, we at WestJet have been extremely encouraged by the speed in
which business has returned," Beddoe said.  "Despite such a major impact,
the effect caused only a slight decline in our load factor and yield in
this quarter," he said.  For the full year, WestJet made $37.2 million, up
from $30.3 million in 2000. Revenues for the year were up 43.9 per cent to
$478.4 million

Written by CBC News Online staff

The owner of Roger's Trinbago Site:
Roj (Roger James)

Caribbean Brass & Soca Connection Club Website
http://www.tntisland.com/caribbeansocabrassconnection/
Steel Expressions Orch
http://www.escape.ca/~ejames/se/
email #1: mailto:steelexpressions@yahoo.com
email #2: mailto:steelexpressions@home.com
The Trinbago Site of the Week:
(Revellers Mas Band) http://www.revellers.com/
(Trini Revellers Mas Band)
courtesy of Roj Trinbago Website & TnT Web Directory
Roj's Trinbago Website: http://www.tntisland.com
TnT Web Directory: http://195.224.187.36/