Re: United's flight number scheme (was Re: AC's 3xxx flight #s)

Here's the rules for creating US aircraft registrations.  I know this isn't
directly related to airline flight numbers but it does make for interesting
reading. The letters "I" and "O" are not allowed in registrations. What is
interesting is that I didn't realize the aircraft category and the dash are
still legal to use in registrations, albeit they are mostly omitted).

I got this from the landings.com web page - they also have the rules there
for German registrations.

Registration Rules

   These rules were written up by Andreas Gehrs-Pahl, schnars@ais.org.
US Registration numbers: Rules (see FAR 47.15(b)): The rules for
registration numbers of aircraft in the USA are:

Form: N[c][-]n[n][n][X][X]
          see : 1 2  3 4 5  6  7  8

N (international prefix: USA)
C/L/R/X (Category, mostly omitted)
- (dash, mostly omitted)
digit (1 to 9)
digit (0 to 9 or nothing)
digit (0 to 9 or nothing)
character (0 to 9, A to H, J - N, P - Z or nothing)
character (0 to 9, A to H, J - N, P - Z or nothing)
min.: N1
max.: NX-999ZZ
1) International Prefix:
N (for USA)

2) Category:
Not part of the Registration nor the Prefix, but is sometimes displayed on
the aircraft (especially before 1950s):
C = Standard,
L = Limited,
R = Restricted,
X = eXperimental.
3) Separator:
The dash (-) or a space ( ) as a Seperator between Prefix and Registration
is in most cases omitted.

4-8) Registration:
1 to 5 characters, allowed are digits (0 - 9) and letters (A - H, J - N, P -
Z), exempt are I and O, to not be confused with the digits 1 or 0. The
registration can be split into two categories:
numeric: 1 to 5 digits (N1 to N99999)
alphanumeric: (here I have to use examples to be 100% clear):
1A - 9999A (9999 registrations)
1Z - 9999Z (for all 24 allowed characters)
and
1AA - 999AA (999 registrations)
1ZZ - 999ZZ (for all 24*24 allowed combinations)
with a category letter; first character is always a digit from 1 to 9; can
be followed by up to 4 more digits and can end with up to 2 letters, but
letters can not be followed by digits; the characters I and O are not
allowed; no other rules exist, concerning:
military/government ownership,
special purpose/prototype/evaluation,
aircraft type, or
location.
Remarks: A total of 99,999 + 9999 * 24 + 999 * 24 * 24 = 915,399 aircraft
could be registered at any given time. (The 1990/91 FAA database contains
about 300,000 registrations). NASA owned aircraft have mostly registrations
of the form NxxxNA, were xxx is a number from 1 to 999. This is not a rule,
and this is not a NASA specific registration form. Government owned special
purpose aircraft (like CIA operated U-2s) sometimes use 'fake'
registrations, which are not in the register, or fly without any
registrations. Without a civil registration, it is difficult to get
overflight or landing rights from any other country.