SF Gate: At least 75 America West pilots to return to work

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SF Gate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2002/01/25/s=
tate1057EST0044.DTL
Friday, January 25, 2002 (AP)
At least 75 America West pilots to return to work

   (01-25) 07:57 PST MESA, Ariz. (AP) --
   America West Airlines will recall at least 75 of its 179 furloughed pilo=
ts
by March, an airline official said.
   Flights were pared down by about 20 percent as the airline tried to cut
costs and bring up passenger loads after the Sept. 11 attacks.
   The pilots were included in a 2,000-person work force reduction by the
airline in October. All employee groups were affected by the job cuts
except airplane mechanics and reservation agents.
   America West restored about a third of its flights in December and plans
to reinstate more flights starting February through April, airline
officials told the East Valley Tribune on Thursday.
   "As demand for air travel continues to increase, we are responding by
adding flights back to our schedule," said Jeff McClelland, executive vice
president of operations. "To support this additional service to our
customers, we're very happy to be returning these pilots to the America
West team."
   America West's pilots union said it welcomed the news, but that 104 pilo=
ts
are still waiting to return to work.
   "It's bad news when anyone gets furloughed, so of course we won't be
totally be happy until they're all back, but 75 is good," union spokesman
Scott Sherrin told the Tribune.
   The carrier's unit of the national Air Line Pilots Association began
paying for health insurance premiums for displaced workers in January as
payments by the airline ceased.
   America West spokeswoman Patty Nowack said it was unclear exactly when
other positions within the airline would be restored.
   Airline officials declined to say how much they expect demand to rise in
the next month, but are happy so far with the rising number of advance
bookings.
   "It is a good sign," Nowack said. "It's obviously good to be having our
employees come back to work, and it's good for the airline to have
business improve. I think it indicates a return of confidence in the
airline industry."
   Meanwhile, at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, which is America
West's No. 1 hub, airport traffic is still down anywhere from 10 percent
to 15 percent, said airport spokeswoman Suzanne Luber.
   America West Holdings went up 4 cents to $3.80 following the news
Thursday.
   Last week, America West received a $429 million loan secured by the U.S.
government, ending the threat of a possible bankruptcy filing.
   The carrier is the only major U.S. airline to seek a loan guarantee under
a federal plan approved after the attacks to provide airlines with $5
billion in cash aid and $10 billion in loan guarantees.

On the Net:
   www.americawest.com

=20
Copyright 2002 AP