PVD-ATL-SLC-JAC r/t Part I

Hi Folks—This is really long but I really appreciate
your reading this. There are some stories and
observations that I hope you will find interesting.
Thanks! –Chris/PVD

PVD = Providence, Rhode Island
ATL = Atlanta, Georgia
SLC = Salt Lake City, Utah
JAC = Jackson Hole, Wyoming

28 December PVD-ATL flt.1557 757 N624DL n/c sked.
departure 12:30p seat 21C

At check-in, one agent was dealing with 2 pax for
eternity—was from what I could tell the agent who
should have been taking care of First Class check-in.
While I was waiting, two pax showed up ready for 1st
class check-in and “regular” pax kept checking-in. The
1st class pax were not even acknowledged by the
nearest agent. I decided that I would still be a
little selfish, see if I check-in before they do and I
did. When all was said and done, I let the agent know
of the now 3 pax in the first-class check-in line. She
thanked me for letting her know. On my way out, I also
let the 1st guy in the first-class line know he would
now get to check-in. At the gate area, the man stopped
me to thank me for what I did. I told him I know very
well how things should be run.

It took me a good 55 mins to get through check-in and
security. Another 40 mins. wait and then boarded.
While at the gate, I was witness to some blatant
racial profiling, call it what you want. A guy who
looked Mexican was sitting by the window on the floor,
almost behind the counter. He had gotten up and I
thought he was just getting ready to board. However,
the agent at the counter interrupted what he was doing
with a pax at the podium and went to get the other
(Mexican-looking) passenger and said “I told him to
stay there and look at what he goes and does” as if
addressing the passenger at the podium. The agent
takes the Mexican by the arms and escorts him straight
to the screening table adjacent to the gate where the
security people completely ripped through his one bag,
opened every single thing and hastily stuffed it all
back into his bag. When the man was cleared, he
presented his ticket folder and the agent collecting
tickets instantly snapped, before making an effort to
look for it, “where is your ticket” in the most
condescending tone I have ever heard. Of course, she
opened the folder and there was his ticket and snapped
again “Ok, go now, down that way” as she took the next
passenger’s ticket.

The 757s are pretty cramped, lucky for my aisle seat
in the front of the main cabin. Beverage and snack mix
service. Smile and courtesy factor for the crew: 7/10.

ATL-SLC flt.633 763 N173DZ ‘97c/s sked. departure
3:50pm actual departure 4:10pm seat 41D

The middle of the middle. Oh well. The flight was
extremely full with over 100 people on standby. Ha!
Three agents at the gate for a full 763. They almost
needed more! C’mon guys, let’s not forget something
called customer service. Wait, that disappeared with
the Twin Towers. And please, why do they start
boarding a full 763 at only 20 minutes before sked.
departure??? Anyway, the gate area was packed. While
passengers can be stupid by boarding when they’re not
supposed to, for example, the agents themselves can
come across as abrasive. At almost each boarding
process, I swear the agents announcements could have
been much more courteous. I wish I could record them.
After being both the passenger and the agent (Air
France internship in Toulouse, France), I have a much
more critical eye, noticing much more than the average
traveler.

Connection time was good, 50 minutes. Almost forgot
what a 763 is like, even after having been on a BA
763. The middle of the middle wasn’t that bad, but it
helps I’m skinny and not that tall. Two beverage
services and a walk through with water.

Ran into some strong headwinds on the way to SLC,
making the flight a little longer than usual.
Connection time was tight for many pax on board,
connecting with SkyWest. It seemed as if they were
holding flights up, however, as I made it just fine to
my SkyWest flight to Jackson, WY.

SLC-JAC flt.3519 EM2 sked. departure 6:40pm seat 6A

The flight was actually a little delayed. We were off
and running by 7pm though and after a de-ice and long
taxi to the outer runway at SLC, we were set. HOWEVER,
20 minutes into the flight, the pilot tells us that he
has a fire-warning indicator light and preferred to
turn back to SLC. Fortunately, he talked to OPS and
they had another EM2 on hand, which was waiting for us
upon our re-arrival. The unfortunate part is that it
still had to be “prepped” for flight so we had to
de-plane and hang out in the terminal again for
another 20 minutes. Once we were able to re-board, it
took another 20 minutes for them to get weight and
balance all figured out and then we had to re-fuel.
Add another 20 minutes for the de-icing line! We were
number four in line…which makes me wonder why they had
only ONE de-icer!? Another 15 minutes of taxiing to
the outer runway. It’s funny that when we re-boarded,
there were “thank you” mints in all our seats. In
addition, the (cute) flight attendant came around
plenty of times with snacks and asking if we wanted
drinks. Alcohol was on the house and I took advantage
with a Heineken. In the end, we arrived 3 hours behind
schedule AND one of my bags didn’t make it with us. No
biggie, I was staying with a family AND the agent was
so kind as to let me know I could go ahead and buy
what I needed (within reason) and that I would be
reimbursed. My bag did arrive within 24 hours.

Note: A gorgeous site at JAC was Dick Cheney’s Air
Force 2, nicely covered in snow. He was vacationing
there and there is in fact a road called Cheney Lane!
(Mind you, a National Guard met our flight!)

=====
-Christopher Liao
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
Wooster, Ohio