Re: EasyJet to buy 75 new planes

WaterskiPilot@aol.com writes

>> "The Airbus has not previously been operated by easyJet or other low-cost
>> airlines as its original capacity was limited to 145 seats - against the
>> 149-seat Boeing 737-300/700," said easyJet chief executive Ray Webster.
>> "However, Airbus has informed us that the A319 will be available with up to
>> 150-seat capacity, which makes it a viable competitive alternative."
>>
> And does this trip come with its own complimentary (and security friendly)
> shoehorn/can opener?  Sounds like enough seat pitch to put my knees on the
> next guys shoulders (kinda like my beloved :-) J-41!)

An A319 with 145 seats is already with minimal pitch. I believe the extra seats
would come from removing the galleys (you don't think easyJet actually give you
food at those fares, do you?), not from reducing the pitch further. The main
reason no one has done so, I think, is a certification one. My understanding is
that the A319 is only currently certified up to 145 pax, given exit size,
number, and configuration. So Airbus would have to recertify the A319 for the
higher numbers, and perhaps to do they will have to provide either more exits,
or bigger exits, or some other solution to keep regulators happy (eg the
faster-opening overwing exits that Boeing had to place on the 737-700 for the
same reason).

Best regards,
Stefano Pagiola