TRIP REPORT : IST-ESB

Jan 3rd 2002 TK102 B737-400   TC-JBU   Seat 17A

I had to be in Ankara (the capital) that day to do a check flight on a
Cessna 402 so that I can finally get my CPL/IR license. The weather was not
that good in Istanbul and to the east so I decided to take the plane for $80
one-way.
Arrived at the airport at 5:20 am purchased my ticket and did a check in 10
minutes. As the plane was only 50% full I got permission to take my duffle
bag with me on the plane.

The monitors showed the boarding gate as 103A which meant taking the bus to
plane. The 737 was sitting just before the THY Teknik (maintenance) hangars.
Next to us Air Alfa's A300-600s were parked. I was also able to get a clear
and close look at ex-Premair soon to be Bosphorus A300-B4s but it was still
dark outside :(

Looks like Turkish did not discover the boarding according to zones or seat
numbers. They do not board the planes that way even the boarding takes place
at a jetway. So needless to say the boarding was a bit messy.

Captain made an announcement in Turkish and what I call "Turk-English" and
informed us that we would be flying at 23000 feet.
We started engines at 6:15 am took off at 6:22 am about 17 minutes later
than the scheduled departure time. After take off on runway 36 we did a
right 180 degree turn and proceeded on course direct to Yalova VOR.

During the very short flight the food service consisted of only a soft
drinks cart. I am wondering if Turkish has decided to get rid of the small
snack service or was this because of the early morning flight. When I took
the same flight last April the service included a small box a-la Sky Deli.

We landed on runway 2R and taxied to the main terminal. I noticed that there
were 2 C130s and 2 C160s of Turkish Air Force sitting at the ramp. During
the day I was informed that they were diverted to ESB because of icing
conditions at Etimesgut AirBase.

Overall, the flight was not too bad even though too short to judge. The fact
that THY doesn't have a competitor in domestic routes shows from the lack of
attention to on time departures. I guess I would rate THY's domestic service
better than US domestic service but not at par with the European's major
airline service.

BAHA