TRIP REPORT : SEA-JFK-IST

Jan 1st 2002 DL98 SEA-JFK B767-300ER    Ship # 187  N187DN   Gate B3

After the new years celebration at my flight school buddies and some friends
from work
attending two parties at one night was the right thing to do. I didn't catch
any sleep
and I left to pick up my luggage from home at 5 am. The cab driver arrived
at 6:05 to
take me to my 8:05 am departure.

The airport was not as deserted as I would imagine to be. I guess a lot of
people took
advantage of flying in very first thing in the morning that day. The ticket
counter was
open and there was almost no line at the security check. At that point I was
exposed to
what we can refer as "Reid effect". The "take off your shoes, let me scan
bottom of your
feet" stuff. I am so glad that this moron didn't hide the c-4 in his
underwear.. :)

During check in I requested a window seat and I ended up stuck with a middle
seat on  row
26. Yuck!! So I walked up to the gate agent and asked him if he could do
something. He said
that I 'd have to wait till 7:45 am or so and suggested that I should check
back with him
at that time.. Fair enough..

Interesting thing is this aircraft was arriving from PDX. After I landed in
JFK I realized
that this specific aircraft makes PDX-SEA-JFK-SEA-PDX run daily. As far as I
remember DL
used to have a 757 in this route.

It was 7:45 and almost everyone was in the plane. Before I made my move to
the counter I
was called by the agent. He said "here's your window seat sir" . I was
shocked to see that
the seat was 11G. Business Elite?? Wow!!! I guess I never said "happy new
year" to anyone
like him this year :))

Having traveled in First Class on United several times on 2001 I can assure
that getting
a Business Elite seat on a domestic run could be explained with only one
word "Awesome" :)

We pushed back at 8:12 am and taxied to 16L. During our taxi I noticed that
one of the
Express.Net A300s was in there. I have seen the 707 they had in PHX in year
2000. That
looks better than this A300. FedEx had an MD-11 sitting on the ramp. That
was a different
site compare to DC10s and A300-600s they bring in.

We used enough runway to get us airborne at the 6000 feet remaining marker.
Right after
leveling off I chose omelets menu for breakfast. The omelets was served with
sausage and
grilled potatoes. They also served a fruit plate next to the omelets.
Mellon, honeydew,
two strawberries and a slice of pineapple was all that I can remember. We
had the choice
of bagel, croissant or French bread, I went for the croissant. All this was
served with
pre and post breakfast drinks of choice. I went for an OJ to start and
coffee during the
breakfast and tomato juice after breakfast.

The business Elite seat is the greatest thing since the sliced bread. :) I
have to confess
that I played around with a for a while and even caught some Zs over the
great plains.
I also checked out the game features of the entertainment system. The
"airshow" thing
which Delta calls "Delta compass". During the flight of almost 5 hrs, I was
extremely
comfortable.. All this for only $620 r/t? I'd say the year started pretty
well for me :))

Sometime around Chicago I realized that Virginia Tech was playing at Gator
Bawl against
FSU and I asked the f/a to ask the crew do the favor and check the scores
with ATC. She
was surprised about my request. I told her that I noticed that kind of a
conversation
"on the frequency" before so she went along with the request fine.

We landed on JFK with a flight overhead of downtown NYC. Ground Zero was on
my side and
as we turned in that area the site was incredible saddening. We came up
pretty high on
that part and joined the arrival route from the south that took us from Sea
Isle VOR
to the left base for runway 31L.

Interesting thing on the ramp was an Aer Lingus 737. Either I was day
dreaming after
too much wine the night before , or it was in for some reason.. :)

We deplaned through gate 25 and I had to hassle up a bit for my connection
to IST at
gate 14.

Jan 1st 2002 DL72 JFK-IST B767-300ER    Ship # 198  N198DN   Gate 14

Coming off from a Business Elite seat made such a spoiled passenger that I
decided to ask
for an upgrade on this flight also. I guess Delta employs some "local"
people for the
destinations that they serve. At the boarding area all the ladies were
speaking Turkish
and they were all not interested in serving people on the line. While they
talked about
their friends, what they did for New Year's , latest make up stuff, the line
got longer
and longer at the counter.  After one CSR started to take the boarding
passes I asked her
if she could do me a favor and work on an upgrade as the gentleman in SEA
did for me.
Her response was "I wonder why he upgraded you, may be the economy was
full.. Let me see
oh you came in Business Elite..."  At this point I knew she was not going to
upgrade me
so I opted for seat 22A which still was not too bad.

We did not push back until 5:50 pm because, get this , a woman was missing
her husband.
After push back, we got to the hold short point for rwy 31L and we did the
regular,
take off, left turn, and fly a climbing downwind departure. We lifted off at
9000 feet
remaining marker on 31L.

After passing Boston area pretzels and drinks were served. After another
hour or so
the flight attendants came over for dinner. The choice was either beef or
chicken,
I decided to go for the beef and a bottle of red wine from Ivan Thomas
Vinery.
Next to dinner a salad with Italian dressing, Rushlage bread, Tillamook
Munster
Cheese, Land-o-Lakes spread and Wheatsworth cracker were served. To top it
off
Sara Lee black forest cake was the desert dujour ..

About an hour outside of Istanbul breakfast was served. It included a
banana, very oily
croissant, cream cheese, grape jelly and Quaker Fruit and Oatmeal Bar all
served
with bottomless coffee/tea and Minute Maid Orange Juice.

OVERALL :
- Service was OK. PDX based crew on the SEA-JFK leg was much better than the
JFK-IST crew.
I was woken up from my sleep to be asked "coffee or tea , sir?" when it was
so
obvious that I was sleeping.
- For some reason the Turkish F/As didn't do much work during the flight
except a lot
of giggling, etc.
- Delta's crew on JFK-IST flight looked waay much older than the SEA-JFK
crew. I 'd say
close to retirement age.
- The in-flight video system was a joke on the economy. The movie they
showed was something
that was listed for a Pacific flight. The ear pieces that DL uses in Economy
are the old
big ones. I really missed the personal video screens on UAL 777s. They may
not work
100% of the time but they are great when they work.
- The trays, food holders and everything that Delta used to serve food was
cheap
plastic that looked and felt like was done to save cost. It didn't feel like
we were
served "real meal" but gave the sensation that we were fed some boxed pre
processed,
pre-cooked meal.. United and Lufthansa's "solid plastics" are much better.

SEA : Seattle, Washington
JFK : JFK, New York
IST : Istanbul, Turkey

BAHA