Trip Report: BOS-SLC-IAH-BOS

18-Dec-01  DL 1535  BOS - SLC  738  Y

This was supposed to be an all-Continental itinerary, CO was having some
problems this day.  I arrived at the airport an hour and a half before
departure and checked in without too much line.  Security line wasn't too
long either, but just as I was nearing the front of the line, screening
was suspended and there was a bunch of commotion inside the Terminal (BOS
Terminal A, gates 7-10).  After 20 minutes or so, all passengers in the
gate area were sent back out for re-screening.  Continental agents were
hush, as were security, police, and national guardsmen.  It was a fairly
organized processthe people who needed to be re-screened were filed into a
separate line which went first.  After about an hour, most of those people
had been re-screened, and screening was again suspended.  By now departure
time had been reached, and the terminal was again evacuated.  At this time
absolutely no one was allowed in.  Not even, "You have to let me in, I am
the Captain."  Lots of authorities were showing upFAA, State Police,
Airport Authority, Continental Station Manager, etc.  Eventually a CO
Agent came out to the line and said that there had been a security breach
and the terminal needed to be sweeped.  This took a good half hour and
screening restarted at 230pm, half hour past the scheduled departure time
for my Newark flight.  I knew I would not make my connection, so I went
back to the CO counter while my line mates held my place in line  And
oddly enough, the ticket counter staff had no idea what was going on and
told me I was a dummy for missing my flight that left half an hour ago.  I
explained to the girl what had happened and she just kind of looked at me
in disbelief and wanted to rebook me on a later flight through Houston
that would get me in around midnight.  I tried to get her to put me on
Delta but she insisted she couldn't because I missed my flightI couldn't
get it through her head that none of the Newark flights had left because
that gate area wasn't even open.  Eventually, I gave up and decided to
take my chances at the gate to see what would happen.  Finally everyone
who needed to fly was screened and the flight was ready to push back with
a 1 hour delay, basically letting me just barely make me connecting
flightbutof course then Newark began issue weather related ground stop
delays of at least 1 additional hour.  Finally I got them to put me on
Delta's nonstop flight.

Check in with Delta was finethe line was very long, but I was able to use
the medallion check in, luckily.  Security lines were incredible for
getting into Delta's concourse at Terminal C.  I managed to slip by the
flight closeout line, effectively saving myself over an hour in line.
Onboard the flight, in a comfortable exit row seat, departure time came
around and the flight was still very empty.  The captain came on saying
last minute bags were being loaded and we would push in just a few
moments.  Then a gate agent came on saying that there were still about 50
passengers still waiting to clear security and we would need to wait for
them.  The flight ended up pushing 45 minutes late.  During pushback, the
ramp crew broke a tow bar, delaying push back another 5 minutes.  Once
departed flight was comfortable.  Good inflight service.  Small meal.
Arrival in Salt Lake also about 45 minutes delayed.

28-Dec-01  CO 1748  SLC - IAH  73G  Y

The return flight was not so eventful.  I was a profiled selectee and had
my checked luggage searched at the ticket counter and my carryon and shoes
checked at the gate.  Flight was completely full.  The gate agents
solicited volunteers, but did not end up needing any.  Flight pushed
ontime and arrived a few minutes early.

28-Dec-01  CO 682  IAH - BOS  738  Y

Flight pushed back about 30 late due to maintenance delay after boarding.
Was about 3/4 full.  Inflight service ok, but meal service was tiny and
disgusting sandwich.  Arrival in Boston about 15 minutes behind schedule.