Executive Jet Crashes At Birmingham UK

Jan 4, 2002

A twin-engined Canadair Challenger executive jet bound for Bangor, Maine,
crashed on take-off at Birmingham International Airport in the United Kingdom
this morning.

The plane caught fire near a runway and was thought to contain three crew and
two passengers, BBC Radio WM reported.

Emergency crews were alerted to the incident at 12.10pm. West Midlands
Ambulance Service said four people were feared dead and one person is thought
to be missing.

The aircraft had taken off at around midday when it was believed one of the
wing tips touched the ground.

A spokesman for Birmingham International Airport said the Challenger aircraft
is believed to be a private or corporate jet.

Steve Evans, from West Midlands Ambulance Service, said: "I understand the
private aircraft left the departure runway. Some witnesses said, and we have
had reports, that there was a ball of flames."