Re: Educated Baggage & Passenger screeners?

Correct, but the issue is, if the French Police say the guy is ok, on what basis can they say no?  I don't mean legal in the sense that yes the Captain is the last word on the aircraft, but more a case of, if they have no reason to say no (No matter if they (AA in this case) don't like the guy because of how he is traveling, what profile he fits, etc, the Police have cleared him), they are opening themselves up to a hell of a lawsuit if they don't.  (And as much as I think the lawyers are out of control, I agree with this, otherwise discrimination would be rampant in the "name of security" as if the profiling, while needed, is bad enough. )

Bottom line, AA did what they were supposed to do, the Police said the guy was ok, AA had little choice but to fly him.  How would you like it if you fit a profile, and were just plain out told, no were not going to fly you, not because we have any proof of you doing anything wrong, but because we don't like you. You'd be dam mad.  AA did not have much of a choice.

<SNIP>

Our staff drew the attention of the French authorities to this =
passenger and it
was only after clarification of the situation by the authorities that he =
was
authorised to take his place aboard,=94 Don Carty, the president of =
American
Airlines, said.

I think that shows it was AA who authorised his travel.
--

Dave Hedges
LHR

<SNIP>