How much explosive do you need?

It's not so much the amount as where you put it.

A tiny amount taped to a window would blow out the glass and depressurise
the plane. In the chaos that followed, you could use another piece on the
wall of the plane to rupture the skin.

Or, as Dennis said, you could remove the explosive in the toilet (good idea
if it's 'personally concealed') and I would then light it and toss it into
the waste-paper shute. That whole waste module is all metal and would make a
fierce bomb and could blow out the rear of the plane.

A small piece in an overhead bin could really do some harm because it would
explode in an enclosed space and probably blast through the outer skin.

The people assembling and loading the aircraft toilets need some of the
tightest security clearance because that would be an ideal place to conceal
a real bomb.

To close, the 'heel bandit' made a mistake by choosing this time of year
when planes are full. If he'd waited until the off season and a boarded
half-empty plane, he might have got away with it. Hard to pull explosive out
of your shoe when there are people all around you.

Geoff