Trip Report: IND-CID (2nd half)

A much more interesting trip home...

Codes:

CID = The Eastern Iowa Airport (Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
CVG = Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport
GSO = Greensboro/High Point Airport (Greensboro, North Carolina)
IND = Indianapolis International Airport (Indianapolis, Indiana)
MSP = Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
ORD = O'Hare International Airport (Chicago, Illinois)
PIT = Pittsburgh International Airport (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)
STL = Lambert/St. Louis International Airport
AA = American Airlines
DL = Delta Airlines
NW = Northwest Airlines
TW = TWA (now TWA, "an American Airlines Company")
UA = United Airlines

Wednesday 26 December 2001

Arrived at Cedar Rapids at 1005.  We made it through check in relatively
quick; security took a bit longer.  After security, we were off to Gate C4.

I snuck away (again!) from Becky (the ladyfriend) to do some plane
spotting, sans binoculars (didn't want the hassle of security).

Gates B1-B7 - Saw two planes: A US Air flight who's N# I couldn't see. (that
was US #5272 - CID-PIT-GSO), and N8444F (Came in as NW #5642 MSP-CID,
leaving as NW #5646 CID-MSP)

Gate C1 N779CA (DL #5518 - CID-CVG)
Gate C2 N637AE (AA #4088 - CID-ORD)
Gate C3 Empty (NW's gate)
Gate C4 N412TW (AA #2704 - CID-STL)
Gate C5 Empty (UA/Great Lakes's Gate [CID-DEN])
Gate C6 N606AW (UA #5642 - CID-ORD)

Also saw N950UP (UPS)

26 DEC 2001 AA#2704 CID-STL Boeing B-717. N412TW. Seats 14E & 14F.

We departed at 1113 (3 minutes ahead) - unsure which runway.
Smooth flight all around.  Our pilot never spoke overhead, so no idea what
altitude we leveled at.  Landed at 1211 (58 minute flight; 3 minutes behind
schedule), and taxied into Gate D24.

No time to plane-spot at STL...as we were running...

26 DEC 2001 AA#2882 STL-IND (inbound from Oklahoma City, OK [OKC]).
MD-80/83? N964TW. Seats 14A & 14B.

After a long run from Gate D24 to Gate C27, we boarded.  Everything was okay
until the plane started to back up...the person who was pushing us got us
out and ready, but then he accidentally put his vehicle into reverse for a
split second, so the whole plane shook violently!  Our pilot came on and
said he was calling maintenance to check the front landing gear, etc. to
make sure no damage was reported.  About 10 minutes later, the "all clear"
was signaled, and we were on our way.  We cruised at 28,000 feet, and landed
at 1520 (6 minutes late) at Gate B2.  Luggage arrived okay, too :-)

Questions...

Becky observed planes with such designations as "4YS", "4XP", etc.  What's
that mean?

Blaine Thompson/FWA
blainethompson@hotmail.com