Re: Houston-LA flight diverted due to unruly passenger:Update

In a message dated 12/25/01 9:48:00 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
pnewbold@san.rr.com writes:

> Latest reports from El Paso reveal the case won't be prosecuted. After
> conducting interviews, the FBI reportedly determined the flight attendant
> threw peanuts at a woman who responded by tossing a drink.

This type of "customer service" demonstrated by CO flight attendants is
exactly what I have experienced on my flights with CO since 9/11, and has
been extremely disappointing.  People seem to be VERY unhappy with their
jobs.  A smile?  Forget about it.  While I am sure that this attitude is not
limited to CO flight crews, I have not seen it by any means on the DL and SWA
flights I have taken since 9/11.  Without doubt, the best customer service I
have experienced (domestically) has been on ME.

As is par for the course with the airlines, management failures in terms of
training are becoming more and more evident in the performance of flight
crews.  I think the one who made a comparison of cabin police vs. cabin
service hit it on the head.  Flight attendants seem to be focusing more on
their police power than the reason why PAX typically chose to fly their
employer in the first place.  Service, service, service is the name of the
game.  This means from the time I hit a ticket counter line to my
disembarking a flight at my destination.  If flying a particular carrier
remains a problem to me, I will take my $$$ to a carrier that wants my
business.

Overall, though, I am cutting back on my travel, especially on short hauls.
Flying is not fun anymore and I am (rapidly) getting tired of the hassles of
checking in early, long security lines, the idiots who are still keeping the
security watch, etc.  As an example, rather than working in my Phoenix office
today and flying to LAS late today (where I have to spend the next 2+ days),
I will happily drive 250 miles from Prescott in comfort in my New Beetle TDI
and get 45 mpg and be on MY schedule.  I don't the Rapid Rewards miles that
bad and the "inspection" at Hoover Dam is not an inconvenience.  besides,
since they now keep all trucks from going over the dam, the trip is actually
quicker than it ever has been.  Besides, the last time I flew out of LAS, I
was horrified to find Argenbright Security doing the screening at the C
terminal which serves SWA.  Does anyone know if they have been replaced in
LAS?  That only contributes to my lack of confidence in flying these days.

Happy Holidays to all and may 2002 be brighter for mankind than 2001.

Bob Taylor
Prescott, AZ