NYTimes.com Article: Officials Move to Ease Delays With Random Visual Checks

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by psa188@juno.com.

/-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

Share the spirit with a gift from Starbucks.
Our coffee brewers & espresso machines at
special holiday prices.
http://www.starbucks.com/shop/subcategory.asp?category_name=Sale/Clearance&ci=274&cookie_test=1

Officials Move to Ease Delays With Random Visual Checks

December 25, 2001

By DAVID FIRESTONE

ATLANTA, Dec. 24 - Grace Stamey came to Hartsfield
International Airport today fully prepared to help keep the
skies safe by removing her shoes for inspection. She had
heard all about the man with the explosive shoes in Boston
and assumed that the airlines would begin peering beneath
laces and into soles to prevent copycats.

But Ms. Stamey, who was flying to Cincinnati for Christmas
with relatives, did not have to bare her feet, and neither
did almost anyone else here at the nation's busiest
airport. A few passengers were randomly chosen to have the
exteriors of their shoes checked for traces of explosives,
but even they kept their shoes on, and Ms. Stamey was not
happy about it.

"I want to see them do whatever it takes to keep these
airplanes safe," said Ms. Stamey, a nurse from Rome, Ga.
"If they're going to look inside my purse, I don't see why
they can't look inside people's shoes."

On Saturday, a man identified as Richard Colvin Reid was
subdued aboard an American Airlines flight over the
Atlantic Ocean after he apparently tried to detonate
explosives hidden in the soles of his sneakers. Security
experts said the incident suggested that terrorists were
again spotting the weak links in airport security.

After the incident, though, the Federal Aviation
Administration decided not to require mandatory shoe
inspections, apparently finding that the increase in
protection would not be worth the added delays. The agency
declined to release the contents of the security directive
it sent to the airlines on Sunday evening, but airline
officials said it required only random inspections of
shoes, and even then not their removal from passengers'
feet.

"The F.A.A. is requiring visual or manual inspection of
shoes, but only for randomly selected passengers at
security checkpoints," said Reid Davis, a spokesman for
Delta Air Lines.

Only those passengers who were already randomly selected to
have their bags searched would have their shoes checked,
Mr. Davis said.

Several hours of observation of the checkpoints at
Hartsfield confirmed that procedure. A vast majority of
passengers passed through the checkpoints with no manual
inspection of their shoes or luggage.

If a shoe contained a metal shank or eyelets, it was put
through the X- ray machine, as has been the case for
several months. But those machines cannot detect the
presence of explosives, and no further check was made on
those shoes.

About one passenger in 50 was selected for a thorough
inspection. In those cases, a screener hand- searched
carry-on luggage, and ran a cloth swab around the outside
of bags and the sides of shoe soles. The swab was then
inserted in a machine that can detect traces of explosives.

Many airports seemed to follow a pattern similar to that in
Atlanta today, conducting random shoe checks on a handful
of passengers. But the practices seem to vary by airline,
and there were differences even within the same airport.

At La Guardia Airport in New York, for example, the
security company hired by American and Midway airlines
asked all passengers, even small children, to remove their
shoes and pass them through the X-ray machine. But at the
US Airways terminal, passengers were told to remove their
shoes only when they set off the metal detectors, and other
airlines seemed to check randomly.

At Reagan National Airport in Washington, a gate attendant
at US Airways said there had been no changes in security
procedures since the weekend. The F.A.A. order did not
become mandatory until this evening, 24 hours after it was
issued.

But elsewhere in the airport, screeners for other airlines
were clearly making an effort to run metal detecting wands
over shoes, and use the cloth swabs on a random basis.

The random nature of the procedure did not sit well with
passengers whose previous edginess was only enhanced by the
weekend incident. Bonnie Layher, a fourth-grade teacher
from Greenbelt, Md., who was leaving from Reagan National
for Orlando, Fla., said she was troubled that not
everyone's shoes were being checked. But she said she and
her husband never seriously considered changing their
travel plans.

"We just lost a couple of hours sleep last night,
worrying," she said.

Random checks are a significant part of the F.A.A.'s
post-September security regimen. Airlines are allowed to
use profiling information about passengers in choosing
whose bags to search at the ticket counters and at gates.
But the decision about whom to search thoroughly at
security checkpoints is more random, because screeners have
far less information than the people working at the ticket
counters.

At most airports, the checkpoints are the only places where
explosive- detection devices are used for carry- on bags -
and now, for shoes.

Federal officials have previously said they believed that
the fear of being randomly caught was enough to deter most
potential attackers, and even today an aviation agency
spokesman refused to discuss how passengers were selected
for thorough inspections at checkpoints.

"It's sensitive security information, and I can't talk
about how an individual would be chosen for the sort of
further screening that might include the screening of
shoes," said Paul Turk, an F.A.A. spokesman. "But there are
several ways the airlines can proceed to accomplish the
necessary checks, and they might or might not be apparent
to someone observing the security checkpoint."

Indeed, any pattern in the selection at the Atlanta
checkpoint today was not apparent to a casual observer.
Those chosen to have their bags and shoes checked included
a flight attendant, an elderly black man, a white man
wearing a cowboy hat and boots, and an Asian woman with two
small children.

"I guess they thought I could pack something in these
boots, but it's hard enough getting my feet in them," said
Ronnie Minter of Dothan, Ala., the man in the cowboy hat.
"I'm sure glad they didn't ask me to take them off."

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/25/national/25AIRP.html?ex=1010296967&ei=1&en=0d957e4fd1d406d0

HOW TO ADVERTISE
New York Times on the Web, please contact Alyson
Racer at alyson@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2001 The New York Times Company