Re: London - Honolulu

Maybe a little clarification.

All airlines continually evaluate their fuel status on every flight.

On the extremely long distance flights (i.e., JFK-JNB, HOU-NRT, EWR-HKG,
etc.) the airlines file two ("2") flight plans for each operational flight.

Why?

The FAA requires  commercial airliners to carry, as a reserve, 10% of the
fuel required to make their intended flight.  This fuel must be available
when the aircraft reaches in the IAF (initial approach fix.)  The amount of
fuel that would be required to be in reserve on a long distance flight is
tremendous.  Payload of a flight would be severely restricted.

How is it handled?

Two flight plans.  Most on the long range flights to Asia, as an example, on
their departure from the US use a point west of Anchorage, Alaska as their
"intended" designation.  Let's call it "XXYY"  They don't land at XXYY, they
just file it as their destination.  As the flight approaches XXYY, the
flight crew in consultation with their company dispatcher and the "howgozit"
chart decide if the aircraft has enough fuel to continue on to their
intended destination, only needing to meet the fuel reserve requirements of
the shorter trip lengths.  If they do, they activate their second flight
plan as the aircraft passes XXYY, and the first flight plan is cancelled.
If they don't have enough fuel to complete their intended trip, then they
divert back to ANC (or sometimes, FAI) for fuel.