Re: configure adds -std=gnu++11 to CXX variable

On Tue, 28 May 2024, 02:51 Paul Eggert, <eggert@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2024-05-27 12:18, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> > Maybe respect the carefully chosen compiler default (unless explicitly
> > overridden in configure.ac)?
>
> Autoconf gave up on that idea long ago, as we had bad experiences with
> compiler defaults being chosen for the convenience of distro maintainers
> rather than for application developers and builders. Compilers were
> still defaulting to K&R long after that made little sense.

What has that got to do with C++ dialects?

GCC defaults to C++17 in versions that have good, stable C++17 support. So
does Clang these days. So what problem are you trying to solve for C++ here?

It was a bit
> like what we're still experiencing with _FILE_OFFSET_BITS defaulting to
> 32 on x86 GNU/Linux.
>
> Using the compiler default puts you at the mercy of the distro. It's not
> always wrong to do that - which is why developers and builders should
> have an option - but it's not always right either.

I am not aware of any distro ever changing the default -std setting for g++
or clang++. Are you attempting to solve a non-problem, but introducing new
ones?