Re: On time64 and Large File Support

* Adam Sampson via Libc-alpha:

> Florian Weimer via Libc-alpha <libc-alpha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> We should define new target triplets for this if it's really required.
>
> If the consensus on this does come down to the definition of new
> architecture triplets, are there any other changes that should (or
> could) be made at the same time, beyond time64 and LFS?

I don't think there are any other non-controversial changes for
i386-linux-gnu (relative to the current i386-linux-gnu interpretation,
i.e. with SSE2 stack alignment).  Lots and lots of glibc compat symbols
will be dropped, but that should be a transparent change (and something
you would be exposed through mere recompilation against current glibc).

It seems it would be an opportunity to clean up the Arm triplets and
define the ISAs/ABIs for the new ones more tightly than what's been
previously used.  But I have zero insight into which ISAs/ABIs would be
required.

I don't know if any of the legacy 32-bit ABIs would benefit from similar
clarification.

Thanks,
Florian