Re: Dependency tracking not working on macOS

On Fri, 2022-10-28 at 00:46 +0200, Christoph Grüninger wrote:
> > config.status: executing libtool commands
> > config.status: executing packageheaders commands
> > make: TMPDIR value
> > /var/folders/lr/5gw1xrv53h1b_9mjjvs2k1dr0000gn/T//albertaiwcZfY: No
> > such file or directory

I added this checking in the latest GNU make prerelease: nice to see
it's helping.

> The sub folder "albertaiwcZfY" (or in general <projectname><random
> string>) is not there. Any hint what might be causing this problem?
> Any idea of how to debug it further?

The error tells you that when make started it found the TMPDIR
environment variable was set to that path.  Then when make tried to
access that path, it did not exist.

In this release you can see that if we can't use the TMPDIR value, we
fall back to a default value.  I'm not sure this is correct; there's an
argument to be made that if the user's requested location for a
temporary directory cannot be used then we should exit and should not
pick a different one behind their back.  I'm undecided about this.

In any event this check is done immediately upon make starting so all I
can say is that the build environment is setting this TMPDIR variable
to a directory that doesn't exist _before_ it runs make.  Maybe someone
in the autoconf world might know why that would be.

Or, maybe it's being set by MacOS before you invoke configure; you
could add something to your scripting to show the value of TMPDIR
before you start your build.

Or maybe the configure script TRIED to create that directory, but could
not do so for some reason, and the error was either swallowed or is not
shown above and the configure script did not exit when it got that
error.  It would be helpful to review the entire build log from the
very beginning to see if there are other suspicious messages.  Maybe
this TMPDIR setting is specific to this configure script (the ones I
have don't try to set it) and the code for that has a bug.