New libtool maintainer: request for feedback

Howdy,

I just wanted to reach out and connect with y'all to introduce myself and hopefully map out patches to `libtool' to improve integration with `autoconf'.

I was recently added as the new maintainer of `libtool' and plan to extend its support for "modern" ELF shared objects. I am also aware of several cases where `libtool' M4 macros intentionally subvert attempts to internalize `autoconf' macros which I would like to correct. Additionally I would like to migrating existing `ltmain.sh' scripts to use `m4sh' for improved compatibility and cleaner integration with `autom4te'. For example I have already migrated many `ltmain.sh' functions to `m4sugar' with design patterns that will make future alignment with `m4sh' straightforward.

Please feel free to reach out if you are aware of any headaches `libtool' integration causes with `autoconf' development and I will be more than happy to help - inline comments throughout `autoconf' refer to a handful, but I imagine there are several others that are not explicitly mentioned. I will be reaching out to `automake' maintainers shortly with a similar message, if there is any existing mailing list intended for wider `autotools' discussion please let me know since that is probably the most appropriate place to hash out ideas.

Thank you for your time,

-Alex Ameen