Re: config.sub/config.guess using nonportable $(...) substitutions

On 3/9/21 5:57 AM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

It seems that config.guess and Autotools packages are picking winners and losers.  It is not clear where the bar has been set.

I prefer to draw the line at systems that are no longer supported by their own suppliers. For Solaris, that means I worry only about Solaris 10 and later, as Oracle no longer supports older versions.

However, this is not a boundary formally set by the GNU project, and different developers can choose different boundaries, as described in "Platforms to Support" section of the GNU software maintainers manual <https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Platforms.html>.

config.sub/config.guess are special in that they're shared among so many projects, and so the boundary that Ben uses affects a lot of projects' configuration code.