Re: Request to revert the C version change

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 14:48:19 -0600, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Dec 2020, Todd C. Miller wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps you are hitting this bug that breaks C99 flag detection?
> >    https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?110396
>
> What are the impacts of that?

The impact is that the configure script will incorrectly decide
that no compiler flag is needed to support C99 features.  It should
only be a problem on older compilers that don't support C99 by
default.  In my case, I noticed it with gcc version 4.2.1 (gccfss).

> I just opened this new one.  Is it related?
>
> sr #110403: autoconf-2.70 AC_TYPE_INTMAX_T test failure under OmniOS
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/support/index.php?110403

That looks to be a different issue.  The version of gcc you are
using supports C11 features without requiring any flags.

> This test used to work fine on the same system, which has not been
> changed throughout the release cycle.  I must admit that I did not
> test the last release candidate before formal release, but I did test
> the other ones.

I'm not sure why that test is failing when the unsigned version
does not.  From the log it certainly appears that intmax_t is
discovered correctly.

I wonder if this is related:

./config.status: line 556: syntax error at line 562: `<<' unmatched

 - todd