Re: M4sh tests 77 and 78 vs /bin/sh -> dash

On 3/23/20 8:01 AM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
If I were writing the patches they would go something like this:
Change _AS_DETECT_BETTER_SHELL so that if there is more than one shell
that supports all of the "as_required" features, it prefers a shell
that doesn't set either BASH_VERSION or ZSH_VERSION, even if that one
doesn't support all of the "as_suggested" features.

I'm a bit dubious, partly because this horse left the barn so long ago that its tail has disappeared over the horizon, and partly because the Autoconf Way is that people should be able to use the current platform's extensions if they're available.