Re: Why autoreconf complains about missing AM_GNU_GETTEXT

On 2020-02-11, Jan Palus <atler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   error "$configure_ac: AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION is used, but not
> AM_GNU_GETTEXT"
>     if $uses_gettext && ! $uses_gettext_via_traces;
>
> Mentioned AM_GNU_GETTEXT implies additional checks for C compiler, linker
> and gettext symbols availability which are completely redundant for such
> projects, hence my question: is this error really valid?

It's not really an error, you could just ignore the message from autoreconf
if it is not relevant to your project.

I will point out that the AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION macro doesn't actually
do anything in configure, it just influences which set of files are
copied when you run autopoint, so once the files are copied the macro
is pointless and could be removed.

If you want, it's pretty easy to fake out a macro invocation like
AM_GNU_GETTEXT which will make all the tools think you call it without
actually expanding to any code in configure, something like:

    m4_pushdef([AM_GNU_GETTEXT])AM_GNU_GETTEXT([external])m4_popdef(
    [AM_GNU_GETTEXT])dnl

This may cause other programs, not just autoreconf, to change behaviour.
YMMV.

Hope that helps,
  Nick