Couldn't locate INSTALL file

Hi, I am a biologist who doesn't know much about computers. I need to
install autoconf as it is one of the dependencies of a program that I want
to use. I downloaded the autoconf package with 'git clone git://
git.sv.gnu.org/autoconf' . The README file says that I should read BUGS and
INSTALL. But there is no INSTALL file in the package. Did I get the package
from the wrong place? What should I do? Thanks!

Ying