Re: Update GTK+ autotools configuration

Hello Javier,

* Javier Jardón wrote on Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 03:37:24AM CET:
> I'm trying to update the GTK+ autotools configuration [1] (comments
> welcomed ;)).

The patches posted there look sane to me, at a glance.  The semantic
change to use pkg-config is one the maintainers need to decide over,
of course.

> Also, I'd like to use the autoupdate program to verify that all the
> macros are updated but I get this error with current gtk master
>
> $ autoupdate
> /usr/bin/m4:/tmp/aukvr57a/input.m4:717: ERROR: end of file in string
> autoupdate: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
>
> Any idea about how to solve this?

Well, a first step would be to see that temp file; you can pass --debug
to autoupdate to not remove them.  But it's quite likely that we would
need some way to reproduce this error, and that can be surprisingly hard
at least sometimes: it might need the exact package tree you have, the
old autotools it was bootstrapped with, and the new ones you're using
now.  OTOH, sometimes it's a lot simpler too.

So, how about you show that input.m4 (gzip if large) and post exact tool
versions that were, and are to be, used.

Thanks,
Ralf