Re: inadvisable to have configure script send me an email when user runs it?

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Ed Hartnett <ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It would be great if, each time netCDF were built, we would get
> an email from the build system, telling us things like what
> configure options were used, what compilers were used, and what
> the platform was.
[...]

ARGHHHH!!!!!

> Is there some good reason not to do this?
> But I have never seen it done...

There already were a few scandals with such "home calling
software" in the news.

Leaking and publishing private user data, especially if done in
such a sneaky thievly way, is prohibited by law (at least in Germany).

Open source often is concerned about freedom in general and
should be unlikely to perform such actions...

oki,

Steffen