Re: inadvisable to have configure script send me an email when user runs it?

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Ed Hartnett wrote:

I thought I would add a --disable-unidata-email parameter to disable the
email attempt. (Which I would use myself with nightly testing.)

Is there some good reason not to do this? But I have never seen it
done...

While the notion is tempting, quite a lot of systems are not configured to support sending outbound email (but will accept it anyway). Even if the mail should somehow go out, it is unlikely to match the user's preferred email address or mail sending approach. People go to great extents to preserve their privacy these days.

Expect lots of complaints.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn