sub-package

I have a library in a subdirectory (via AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS) that adds
-I and -L flags to AM_CXXFLAGS and AM_LDFLAGS down in the sub-package
so its example and test programs can all use the library.  I'd like to
have those same additions propagated up to AM_CXXFLAGS and AM_LDFLAGS
in the parent package.  Is there a good way to do this?