Complex compiler/linker tests

There are situations where a C++ comptest needs to have multiple translation units. These need to be compiled and the object files linked together, and posibbly, the resulting program needs to be run.

I could not find a way of doing this in an easy way using the "public interface" of autoconf. Is it at all possible? Would I need to roll my own macros for this?

Thanks,
Liviu