Re: Library Link order, cygwin, AC_TRY_LINK

I do have one library (bzip2 library) that fails to find an existing library function under MinGW but otherwise I have not encountered any configure problems under Cygwin and MinGW.

Hrmm. I was hoping this would be a well known issue that somehow escaped documentation. :o/

I have not updated my Cygwin environment for quite a while. It may be that there is some new Cygwin linker bug which is causing the problem.
Or perhaps, libreadline is dependent on some other library and the linker is handling the error wrong.

I checked into that, hoping that might be it...

egner2@ice /tmp$ gcc -o conftest.exe -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -lreadline rl_test.c
/cygdrive/c/DOCUME~1/egner2/LOCALS~1/Temp/ccb1Czwp.o(.text+0x2e):rl_test.c: undefined reference to `_readline'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

egner2@ice /tmp$ gcc -o conftest.exe -I/usr/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/include rl_test.c -lreadline

egner2@ice /tmp
$

As you can see, inverting the source file and the library does the trick.

For the curious, rl_test.c is:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <readline/readline.h>
#include <readline/history.h>

int
main( int argc, char** argv )
{
	readline( "prompt>" );
	exit( 0 );
}

--EOF--

Thanks, though.  Hopefully someone else has run into this before.

Chris Egner