Re: Problematic 'yum' repository paths using --installroot option

>> Just to clarify, this problem only manifests with the '--installroot' option applied to yum.
>> Under normal package management operations everything works fine.
>
>OK, I seem to have missed two key facts when reading your original
>email (sorry about that):
>
>  * the variable in question is $slreleasever (not yum's built-in $releasever)
>  * you specified an --installroot
>
>The $slreleasever variable is a user-defined variable specific to
>Scientific Linux, stored in the file /etc/yum/vars/slreleasever.  Now,
>when YUM runs from a custom installroot, it looks for variable
>definitions *inside* that installroot.  What appears to be the case
>here is that there's no /node_root/etc/yum/vars/slreleasever file and
>so YUM just doesn't substitute the $slreleasever occurrences within
>the baseurl values, and obviously fails thereafter.
>
>That said, for this work, all you have to do is copy the
>/etc/yum/vars/slreleasever file to the same location inside your
>installroot.
>
>Note that for the built-in $releasever variable, YUM actually allows
>the user to specify that the value shall be taken from the host
>instead (with --releasever=/ which you also used above).  However,
>with such custom variables, you have to do the copying/symlinking.
>
>Hope that helps!
>
>Michal

Hello,

Thank you Michal.  This clarifies and resolves the issue for me.

Just as a follow up, the man page for the yum utility does not mention the need for pre-existing variables paths within the target root path. Nor does the man page indicate the required structure, convention, or required values of the directories and variables. This is the information that was lacking.

What are the standard directories, files, variable names and values that yum expects and why?
Those information should probably be added to the documentation.

Thanks again for your help.
It's good to have this working.

Greatest Regards,

Peter