Re: RHEL 5.7 yum conf? ('yum grouplist' failing)

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 9:27 AM,  <yum@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry to go on and on .. Obviously I need to
> email the sys admin for help, I wanted to be prepared enough to
> convince them that the problem is both solvable and worth solving.
> It is usually a basic 'best practice' to support 'yum grouplist', right?

it depends.

If the repo you're creating is supposed to replace the official
upstream repo (e.g. in restricted network access setup), then yes. If
you just want to host your own packages, then no, there's no need to
support grouplist for your own repo.

> Where does the admin go, to get the official copy of comps.xml,
> to support 'yum groupinstall "Development Tools"',
> so createrepo can create .../repodata/groups.xml?

It's on the installer CD/DVD (e.g
./Server/repodata/comps-rhel5-server-core.xml on RHEL5 install DVD)

There should also be one on the official repository. For example, on
Centos mirror, http://mirrors.easynews.com//linux/centos/5/os/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml
has a section that says

<data type="group">
<location href="repodata/comps.xml"/>
<checksum type="sha">d255296439f1e3691757de85be89a1c990681ee2</checksum>
<timestamp>1315261225</timestamp>
</data>

so on that repo you'll find comps.xml on
http://mirrors.easynews.com//linux/centos/5/os/x86_64/repodata/comps.xml

>> > yum is looking for rpm versions that are not in
>> > the 'updates-local' repo, and not in
>> > the 'base-local' repo! How is yum determining these versions?
>> >

>> We can stop right here You have download error for gdb etc.!!!

Your repo is broken.
- get your sysadmin to fix it properly (e.g. they need to know how to
use reposync/repotrack/createrepo or other similar tool)
- tell then to just clone a working repo (e.g. use rsync to mirror one
of centos' mirror with rsync access)
- dump your local repo, use the official ones

--
Fajar