Re: How to delete old yumdb entries?

Време: 09/15/2011 02:52 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic пише:
Време: 09/15/2011 12:48 PM, Mike Fleetwood пише:
On 15 September 2011 09:49, Frank Murphy<frankly3d@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 15/09/11 09:15, Mike Fleetwood wrote:
About 80% of
my packages are new in Fedora 14, with 9% and 7% from Fedora 12 and 13
respectively and a handful from older one too. I still have nearly
three times as many yumdb entries than the number of RPMs currently
installed, which must be for old packages.

Thanks,
Mike

if yo dont' want to go the full "yum clean all",
try "yumdb --help"
to see what options are available to you.
yum-utils must be installed for this (iirc).

I tried yum clean all and it hasn't reduced the size of yumdb at all.

"yum clean all" will only clean yum cache for the repositories. That has
nothing to do with database of already installed packages.

Yum cache: /var/cache/yum....

 > YumDB:
 > Since yum 3.2.26 yum has started storing additional information about
 > installed packages in a location outside of the rpmdatabase. None of
 > the information stored there is critical to performing its function
 > but it enhances the user experience and makes it possible to know
 > more about the context in which a package was installed.

 > /var/lib/yum/yumdb/<letter>/$checksum-packagename-$ver-$rel.$arch>
 > /keyname

 > Each keyname is a file and the contents of that file are the values.

According to this and little investigation, you should check each

/var/lib/yum/yumdb/<letter>/$checksum-packagename-$ver-$rel.$arch>/releasever

file and see for what version it was installed. My guess is that string
in releasever file will determine if file was from 12.0, 13.0, etc...

Ljubomir Ljubojevic

This should get you going:

installed=$(rpm -qa --qf '%{NAME}\n' | sort)
for pckg in $installed; do
yumdb get releasever $pckg | grep -v "Loaded plugins" | tr -d '\n' | awk '{print $4 " " $1}' | sort | awk '{print $2 " " $1}' > installed_pckg.txt
done

Now you will have the list of installed packages sorted by releasever key.

You can also use:

yumdb search releasever "12.0"

to search for specific values/<distro versions>, but be carefull. I my CentOS 6 there are packages with either "6" and "6.0" for releasever, but "6" is not equal to "6.0", they are separate/diferent/unique key values.

For short list without version numbers and $arch use this:

installed=$(rpm -qa --qf '%{NAME}\n' | sort)
for pckg in $installed; do
yumdb get releasever $pckg | grep -v "Loaded plugins" | tr -d '\n' | awk '{print $4 " " "'"$pckg"'" }' | sort | awk '{print $2 " " $1}' > installed_pckg_short.txt
done

Next part would be to delete (presumable) old packages, but I see multiple possible problems since it looks like yumdb is saving only entries that are current, actualy used by sistem. I looked for my package "krusader" which I updated recently, but older version is no where to be seen, just the latest.

Procedure to delete would be to find directories in /var/lib/yum/yumdb/ matched with full package name (with version and $arch) using listing of names provided with the first/upper script I wrote, and delete them with rm -fR <folder name>, or better to move it to safe location and delete it manualy.

Ljubomir Ljubojevic