Re: dependency problems with yum-priorities on CentOS 5.5

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 16:40 +0100, Nick wrote:

> >  I'm pretty sure this isn't true, there are roughly 6 stages for an
> > install/update:
> >
> > 1. Processing the argument.
> >
> > 2. Internally resolving dependencies.
> >
> > 3. Show what will happen to the user, and asking for confirmation.
> >
> > 4. Asking rpm to check that everything is fine (test transaction).
> >
> > 5. Asking rpm to run the transaction.
> >
> > 6. Running post transaction stuff.
> >
> > ...I'm pretty sure yum is stopping at #2 for you, which is fine.
>
> No - if it was, that would indeed be much better. This happened twice, on two
> similar machines, so I got the chance to verify that.
>
> It got to the prompt, i.e. #4, and there was no indication anything was wrong,
> so I let it go ahead.  After upgrading a few tens of packages there was then a
> message reporting the unresolvable dependency and a suggestion that I use "yum
> update --ignore-broken" (and I am not sure if this is good advice).

I'm REALLY positive this is not true..

If you could capture the entire output for when you see this I'd be
interested to see it - but going by the actual code - what you're
describing is not possible.

> On the other hand, if only individual packages are transacted, this is a painful
> place to put to the poor user, who has been taken past the point of no return
> and has some painstaking detective work to do in order to finish the job.

individual pkgs are not 'transacted' nor does yum stop in the middle of
a transaction as you've described.

-sv