Re: mirrorlist server selection

On 3/17/2010 3:16 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, Les Mikesell wrote:

On 3/17/2010 1:46 PM, James Antill wrote:

For RPM Fusion's mirrorlist I am also running Matt Domsch's
MirrorManager and we have two servers serving the mirrorlist. It is one
DNS name which resolves to two IPs. Yum automatically uses the correct
mirrorlist server if one of the servers is down (or if nothing answers
on port 80).

As far as I can see there is no code to do this anywhere, for either
mirrorlist or metalink yum just has a single URL and requests that
from urlgrabber (and AFAIK there's nothing in urlgrabber to try all
IPs for a given host, but maybe there is).

I don't know about urlgrabber specifically, but most browser-type
things these days will try all IPs from the list DNS returns until one
succeeds. It makes life easier - and it is much nicer when working
through caching proxies if all of the targets have the same name
instead of having every host being updated pick a randomly different
mirror name and download new copies of everything.

It's not how ping, for example works, or telnet, or anything - I can
think of.

I don't think the underlying connect() routine will do it for you, but browsers and their associated libraries must do it the hard way. Try putting a bad and good IP address in DNS for a name and using an assortment of browsers, wget, curl, etc. to access a file at a url that works on the good IP. With clients that know how to to this, round-robin DNS is a cheap and moderately good failover mechanism as well as providing load balancing among the sites that are working.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx