Re: mirrorlist server selection

Adrian Reber <adrian@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> For RPM Fusion's mirrorlist I am also running Matt Domsch's
> MirrorManager and we have two servers serving the mirrorlist. It is one
> DNS name which resolves to two IPs. Yum automatically uses the correct
> mirrorlist server if one of the servers is down (or if nothing answers
> on port 80).

 As far as I can see there is no code to do this anywhere, for either
mirrorlist or metalink yum just has a single URL and requests that
from urlgrabber (and AFAIK there's nothing in urlgrabber to try all
IPs for a given host, but maybe there is).

> I do not know if this is on purpose but if something is
> answering on the port the mirrorlist is supposed to run with a http
> status code 500 or 40? would it not also make sense to try another of
> the available mirrorlist servers? This is especially a problem for RPM
> Fusion because the mirrorlist infrastructure is not in as good hands as
> the Fedora infrastructure.

 Now, in theory, it'd be possible to change _getMetalink() to have a
list of URLs and try each in turn until we get "something that
parses". But it's not super easy, and it'd need a lot of testing
(... patches accepted :).

--
James Antill -- james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/releases