Re: mirrorlist server selection

James Antill wrote:
Adrian Reber <adrian@xxxxxxxx> writes:

For RPM Fusion's mirrorlist I am also running Matt Domsch's
MirrorManager and we have two servers serving the mirrorlist. It is one
DNS name which resolves to two IPs. Yum automatically uses the correct
mirrorlist server if one of the servers is down (or if nothing answers
on port 80).

 As far as I can see there is no code to do this anywhere, for either
mirrorlist or metalink yum just has a single URL and requests that
from urlgrabber (and AFAIK there's nothing in urlgrabber to try all
IPs for a given host, but maybe there is).

I do not know if this is on purpose but if something is
answering on the port the mirrorlist is supposed to run with a http
status code 500 or 40? would it not also make sense to try another of
the available mirrorlist servers? This is especially a problem for RPM
Fusion because the mirrorlist infrastructure is not in as good hands as
the Fedora infrastructure.

 Now, in theory, it'd be possible to change _getMetalink() to have a
list of URLs and try each in turn until we get "something that
parses". But it's not super easy, and it'd need a lot of testing
(... patches accepted :).

What about caching last list of mirrors and automatically iterating through that list if mirrorlist does not respond?

Ljubomir