Re: Using yum for repo that was created with createrepo

Hi James,

> I think you'd need to have two repos, like:
>

>[repo1]
>name=my repo list1
>baseurl=http://whatever/dir1
>
>[repo2]
>name=my repo list2
>baseurl=http://whatever/dir2
>
>...and if you need to have it on the FS in that way I think you need
>to use: --baseurl http://whatever/main_dir

Thanks a lot for your mail. This has helped me to progress a bit more but I'm still experiencing some problems. Now I create my repos like:

createrepo -i list1 -o dir1 --baseurl=http://main_dir main_dir
createrepo -i list2 -o dir2 --baseurl=http://main_dir main_dir

And the repo files are as you suggested. Even if in the repomd.xml file there's explicit information about my baseurl:

> more dir1/repodata/repomd.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<repomd xmlns="http://linux.duke.edu/metadata/repo";>
  <data type="other">
    <location xml:base="http://main_dir"; href="repodata/other.xml.gz"/>

Yum fails to find the packages because it still tries to get them from the dir1 or dir2 locations instead of from main_dir. I fear that the yum client is
not able to understand the xml:base information. I've also thought of using the --installroot option when running yum, but it's not a good idea since it uses
it for all the repos I define under /etc/yum.repos.d and I only want to use it for dir1 and dir2 repos. I've also tried to define the repos as:

[repo1]
name=my repo list1
baseurl=http://whatever/dir1
installroot=http://main_dir

[repo2]
name=my repo list2
baseurl=http://whatever/dir2
installroot=http://main_dir

But it doesn't work either so probably it's a wrong syntax.

I can't find much more information about the --baseurl option of createrepo. In the man page of createrepo it says:

--baseurl <url>
              Optional base url location for all files. (not used by any clients at this time)

Maybe yum is not able to use this option (?)

Thanks a lot,
Maria