Re: Hosed my system - anyway to ask yum to fix it?

Seth Vidal wrote:

So, I attempted to turn off prelinking (floundering round in the dark)
but running
/etc/cron.daily/prelink
seems to hang itself - whether turning it on or off in
/etc/sysconfig/prelink

I suspect I've got myself in a bit of a pickle...

Is there any magic yum command that'll check for missing files for all
installed rpms and put them back in?

No. not that I know of - that could be a useful app, though.

Can you get your installed package list from rpm and tell yum to reinstall them? Overkill perhaps, but I've always thought there should a handy(ier) way to get the list from one box and duplicate that set on another which would mostly be the same operation.

Is there any magic anything command that'll tell me definitively if I
should chuck the hard drive, which I really don't want to do because
although I've got backups, my backs against the wall at the moment and
I really can't afford to be doing this......

no clue on how to tell on the hard drive, but as a general rule I tend toward the "assume the hard drive is ALWAYS failing" side of things.

'smartctl' will give you a health overview. If the drive is too old to have the smart interface, it's probably time to replace it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx