Re: Using YUM as non-root user

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009, Michael Lasevich wrote:

Ok, after messing a bit with the yum command-line (mostly altering the yum.conf config file and adding some code having to do with include paths - which is probably configurable via env variables) I actually get it to run fine as a regular user. It sees the repo in MY config, it sees the custom RPM DB contents as per .rpmmacros file, and even fetches the rpm from repo, but I run into a wall when it tries to install the rpm.

The issue is that when I install it manually I have to specify prefix (rpm --prefix /mypath -Uhv), but yum is not specifying it, so it tries to install to /bin instead of /mypath/bin, and obviously fails with "error: unpacking of archive failed on file /bin/myfile;4a495646: cpio: mkdir" . Now, I tried using installroot option, which SEEMS like the right thing, but is not. It changed the locations of many paths in many places including default paths to config files, and paths in .rpmmacros, (which is unfortunate as rpm itself does not see the installroot parameter) but in the end, it is still installing into /bin instead of /mypath/bin.

So I assume I need to find where yum makes an API call to rpm libs and pass prefix to it, but I cannot seem to find that place in the yum code. Can someone point me to the right place to find it?

okay - AIUI - relocations only work when the pkg is built to allow itself to be relocated.

If you want to install it in another path - then that's changing the installroot which you can currently do in yum.

-sv