Re: Using YUM as non-root user

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Michael Lasevich wrote:

Ok, this is an unusual use of yum, so please read the entire thing before replying that you have to be root.

I have a set up where I use RPM as a non-privileged user to deliver custom non-os packages. This setup works great, but I have to manually deliver update and new RPMs to this setup. I am curious if I can make YUM run as a non-root user with all the yum files and configurations located in non-standard places and deliver these RPMs to this location automatically. Assume that underlying RPM works fine in this configuration (which, like I said, it does with a few command line params and a custom config file)

The yum commandline will not work. I'm positive of that. You might be able to make the python-api work with a little trickery. Give it a try.

-sv