Re: Keep just one specific kernel version

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 10:17:13PM -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
> Nifty nifty.hat Mitch wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 03:05:15PM -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
>>
>>> I ran into a situation where we needed to boot into rescue mode to
>>> repair an older F7 system.  Once in rescue mode I chrooted into
>>> /mnt/sysimage and tried starting rpcbind and nfs.  I was greeted with
>>>  errors about couldn't find kernel lib modules.  Then it dawned on me
>>>  that this system had been updating the kernel so it no longer had
>>> the  original kernel available that would match the kernel from the
>>> rescue  disk.
>>>
>>> So is there a way to keep the original kernel and still allow the
>>> system  to update to newer kernels?  I just want to keep the one
>>> original kernel  version so that it will match rescue mode.
>>> Otherwise the system should  be free to update the kernel if it
>>> wishes and only keep two most recent  kernels (plus the one original
>>> kernel).
>>>

>> Look at    installonly_limit=
>> in /etc/yum.conf.
>>
>> If you set the limit large enough all kernels will
>> be kept.   If your /boot/... device is small you will need to use "rpm"
>> and erase specific extra kernels....
>>
> Hi Tom,
> Yes, I looked at installonly_limit and if you set it to 0(zero) it
> should keep everything which would solve the issue and we could remove
> those kernels that we didn't want to keep. The archive.fedoraproject.org
> seems to still have F7 rpms. Hopefully they will keep these for all the
> old Fedora distros. And I've been building some more of those USB
> recovery boot drives. Handy little things (except when you can't find
> them :-)

Repos with F7 bits will become rare.
If F7 is important to you do archive all the F7 RPM you currently
have installed and more if you can get them.   Burning them (and SRPM) to
a DVD is a good thing.  If you have the disk space setup a F7 mirror
and back it up. Do not set the rsync flag that removes files ;-)

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?