Re: Keep just one specific kernel version

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 03:05:15PM -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:

> I ran into a situation where we needed to boot into rescue mode to
> repair an older F7 system.  Once in rescue mode I chrooted into
> /mnt/sysimage and tried starting rpcbind and nfs.  I was greeted with
> errors about couldn't find kernel lib modules.  Then it dawned on me
> that this system had been updating the kernel so it no longer had the
> original kernel available that would match the kernel from the rescue
> disk.
>
> So is there a way to keep the original kernel and still allow the system
> to update to newer kernels?  I just want to keep the one original kernel
> version so that it will match rescue mode.  Otherwise the system should
> be free to update the kernel if it wishes and only keep two most recent
> kernels (plus the one original kernel).

Look at
   installonly_limit=
in /etc/yum.conf.

If you set the limit large enough all kernels will
be kept.   If your /boot/... device is small you
will need to use "rpm" and erase specific extra kernels....

Since the old kernel is gone you may need to
search about on the installation media and
find the original RPM to install so that your
rescue goals are met.

Of interest most non kernel packages are installed "rpm -Uvh"
Kernel packages are installed "rpm -ivh"...

For sure cache to CDROM or some place all the F7 package RPMs you can get if you intend
to keep that system live for very long.  Old distros do vanish on the net.

For newer fedora distros it is almost easy to build a USB boot key
that your can use to repair things.  The default setup will
pull the 'latest' rpms onto the USB key or CDROM....

I recently saw a 2GB USB key for $10 -- more than enough for basic rescue.
Or just download the most recent 'live' CDROM once in a while.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Found me a new hat, now what?