Re: In pursuit of 32-bit => 64-bit upgrade path

Lars Damerow wrote:
From Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>, Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:24:02AM -0500:
And yes, you really do want to make these changes in a configuration
management system, under source control, so that you can avoid getting
into this situation again. Setting up all of that XML will save you a
world of pain in many situations: dead hardware, new OS releases,
educating new employees, and on and on.
Version control of files that you change is always a good thing, but configuration management tools always add some bizarre abstraction layers of their own that don't seem portable or likely to handle major changes in the underlaying file structure.

Hi Les,

Sorry, I should have been more specific--I meant that your configuration
management scripts should be under source control.

Yes, but that is still at a level of abstraction that I don't want. I want to be able to make changes arbitrarily on a machine without mapping it into some otherwise unrelated scripting language that adds its own constraints - and later on be able to see, undo, or reproduce those changes. This is more or less what you would do with source code - I just think it would make sense to already have it set up under version control by the install. In fact, I'm surprised someone hasn't wrapped a wiki-like editor that exposes version history around the files in /etc.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx