Re: In pursuit of 32-bit => 64-bit upgrade path

>From Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>, Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:24:02AM -0500:
>> And yes, you really do want to make these changes in a configuration
>> management system, under source control, so that you can avoid getting
>> into this situation again. Setting up all of that XML will save you a
>> world of pain in many situations: dead hardware, new OS releases,
>> educating new employees, and on and on.
>
> Version control of files that you change is always a good thing, but
> configuration management tools always add some bizarre abstraction
> layers of their own that don't seem portable or likely to handle major
> changes in the underlaying file structure.

Hi Les,

Sorry, I should have been more specific--I meant that your configuration
management scripts should be under source control.

-lars

--
lars r. damerow :: button pusher :: pixar animation studios

The man frowned and glared down at Hugo. "I wish you hadn't woken me up,"
Kevin said. "I was having a delightful dream that there was nothing wrong with
me at all, instead of being a freak."
                                    Lemony Snicket, "The Carnivorous Carnival"