yum: behavior with local NFS mounted repo

We have a local repo that we NFS mount. Every now and then the repo mount disappears. You know how NFS is sometimes. However we never know that the mount has gone away and yum seems perfectly happy. Is there some means to know that the local repo disappeared when running yum?

Regards,
Gerry